May has come, promising good weather, long days and lazy afternoons spent outdoors in the greenery. For international and local North residents who feel they can take the opportunity to socialize and meet new people, we’ve put together a guide to all the meetings and events our partners at City Central and Connect International have planned for the month ahead.
From walking clubs to Dutch conversations, from the Book Club to coffee mornings – everyone will find something for themselves. Enjoy!
- Sunday coffee is socialMay 8th at 1pm at the Post Plaza in Leeuwarden. On the first Sunday of each month, Connect International organizes a meeting at a coffee shop in Leeuwarden; free for members, 5 euros for non-members.
- Leeuwarden Walking Club, every Tuesday (3–10–17–24–31) at 19:30, meeting in Oldehove. free or 5 euros. A chance to relax and enjoy the beauty of the city’s quaint streets, various parks and green areas while enjoying the benefits of hiking. Free for members of Connect International, 5 euros for non-members; record before 6pm the same day.
- Leeuwarden Cycling Club, every Wednesday (4-11-18-25) at 9:00. Free for Connect International members, 5 euros for non-members.
- Frislan Cross-Country Clubd, every Saturday (7-14-21-28) at 10:30. Ideal for people who would like to run but just can’t be motivated, or who just love company. The meeting place in Leeuwarden will be notified by email; make an appointment an hour before the meeting. Free for Connect International members, 5 euros for non-members.
- Writers’ Club in GroningenMay 6th at 4.30pm, at the International Welcome Center North office in Gedempt Süderdiep 98. The club welcomes people who love to write in English, anything from poems and plays to blogs, short stories and novels. Free for Connect International members; non-members may attend one event, but must become members to attend regularly. Sign up 24 hours before the session.
- Book Club in Groningen, May 11th at 8 p.m., location will be announced. The book is for the month of May Troy Stephen Fry. Book Club meetings are for Connect International members only. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to join.
- Connect Talk: The birth of a child in the Netherlands, May 12th at 10 a.m. at the International Welcome Center North office in Gedempt Süderdiep, 98. Pregnancy, if you live in a new country, can be an exciting experience for international couples, but at the same time challenging. Connect International will provide practical information and suggestions for young parents. Free for Connect International members, 5 euros for non-members. Sign up 24 hours before the session.
- International Coffee Morning in Groningen, May 13th at 11:30. Join Connect International for their regular event meetings and greetings to enjoy a hot drink, meet old friends and welcome newcomers. Free for Connect International members, 5 euros for non-members.
- Saturday’s opening in Groningen, May 21street at 10:30. Every 3-4 weeks Connect International organizes meetings to discover new places where you can have a cup of coffee and a cake. Free for Connect International members, 5 euros for non-members.
- Check out FietsFriend, June 5th at 11:00. Join City Central to explore the beautiful countryside around the city of Groningen. The tour will last from 3 to 5 hours 2.5 euros for the early (until midnight on May 29th), 5 euros per week (until midnight on June 3)etc.).
- Dutch conversation is fun. Free for Connect International members, 5 euros for non-members. Sign up 24 hours before that.
- Level A1-A2, every Wednesday (4-11-18-25) at 10:30 a.m., online.
- Level B1-B2May 9th at 12:45 online.
- Level B1-B2, May 16th at 12:45 in the office of the International Welcome Center North at Gedempte Zuiderdiep 98.
- Happy Yoga, every Thursday (5–12–19–26) at 5:30 p.m., near Ooosterpark (online in case of rain). Classes are quite active, starting with breathing, then intense physical movement and ending with relaxation. Free for Connect International members, 5 euros for non-members.
- Women’s group, “tribute”, every Friday (6–13–20–27) at 10:00 at the International Welcome Center North office in Gedempte Zuiderdiep 98. Join a group of women from all over the world and from all walks of life and share your thoughts, ideas and experiences. The circle is a safe space where you can come and be heard, ask for help, find new friends and a support network. Free for Connect International members, 5 euros for non-members.
- Walking Club in Groningen, every Sunday (8–15–22–29) at 2 p.m. The club usually conducts 1-2-hour tours of the green areas of the city, and once a month organizes longer walks in neighboring villages or provinces. Free for Connect International members, 5 euros for non-members; subscribe up to 24 hours before.